Including references to external XML comment files

Topics: User Forum
Dec 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM
Is there any way to reference external files for inclusion in project or namespace summaries? I understand how to use the Prj Summary and Namespaces buttons to access the dialogs for entering summary information using the SHFB UI but I would like to create a content file outside of SHFB and then reference it via an include from the dialogs in the SHFB UI. Is this possible? Can it be done using the shared project and namespaces summary approach?
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM
Use a Comments Only XML file if you want to manage the comments outside the GUI. See the Sharing Summary and Namespace Settings Between Projects topic in the GUI Project Manager section for details. If you are asking whether you can add a custom HTML page to replace the project summary and namespace summary pages, you can't do that as Sandcastle generates the pages. All you have control over are the XML comment that go into them.

Eric
Dec 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM
Hi Eric,

I understand how to use a "Comments Only" XML file. In fact, that is what I am using. What I wanted to know is if there was a way to use some kind of "include statement" in the comments only XML file so that I could develop seperate content files and then use an include statement to bring them in during processing. The concept is analogous to the #include statement in C.

Thanks,
Brian
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2007 at 3:07 PM
What you want is something like the <include> tag but they only work at the source code level. The compiler pulls the included information into the comments and writes everything out to the resulting XML comments file. There isn't a way to do it after the fact.

Eric