Cannot see "Properties Node" of a class in TOC

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 22, 2007 at 1:04 PM
Hi all!

I was surprised to see that the new HxS file (Sandcastle October CTP and the latest SHFB) is smaller than the old one.

For that reason examined the TOC: i miss the "Properties"-node of classes that implements other classes and don't have any own properties. This is new. Can any one help me to resolve this?

Another point:
If i search in the index for a special property, i don't see the classes that implements the class of that property. Does any one have any idea?

Nov 22, 2007 at 5:37 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2007 at 5:39 PM
It sounds like a transform issue with the October CTP. Can you provide an example that demonstrates the problem and with which presentation style(s) it does that?

On second thoughts, what you're describing doesn't sound like a bug. A derived class shouldn't show any properties from the base class in the TOC unless they are virtual and are overridden. There is a bug where that happens for stuff like Windows forms derived classes but it shouldn't.

Nov 23, 2007 at 7:07 AM
Edited Nov 23, 2007 at 7:07 AM
Hi Eric!
Thanks for your answer!

We use the vs2005 presentation style. i have tryed also other styles but the same result.

public class ClassA
private int _intValue;

public int IntValue
get { return _intValue; }
set { _intValue = value; }

public class ClassB : ClassA
public ClassB()

public void ShowMessage(string s)
// do something

In the TOC under the ClassB node i see only:
Constructor, Methods but no node Properties. If i add a own property to ClassB that the Property Node appears.

Nov 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM
This is by design. If you look at any class, you will only see members of that class, not members of the base class, in the TOC. This is true of the MSDN documentation as well. If it included all members, the TOC would be huge and unnecessarily cluttered. See the the containing node for a list of all members (i.e. the "Members" and "Properties" entries in the TOC). By the way, it's been like this since the very first CTP. I doubt it has anything to do with why your help file shrank in size.