Tags for *.topic?

Topics: User Forum
Oct 6, 2007 at 3:07 AM
Thanks so much for the effort and this new release.
What tags are supported in the *.topic files? (xml or the html or both).

What will be considered the best practices for authoring additional help files (just any tip)?

Best regards,
Paul.
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2007 at 8:53 PM
What goes in the .topic files is determined by what XSL transformation file is used. The three default ones (one for each presentation style) only support what's listed in the help file (topic is the main one with title, bodyText, logoFile, and an "xml" tag (for HTML 2 stuff) as child elements). As far as the bodyText element, it will support all the common HTML tags. I copied the pass through section from the Sandcastle transformations and added a few extra tags such as link and script. They won't support XML comments tags unless the transformations are extended to support that. My XSL skills are marginal at best so I've only done enough to get a basic transformation going. You can find them in the .\Templates folder if you are interested.

As noted in the help files, the .topic and the XSL transformation files are treated as additional content files when copied so all the same features are available with regard to colorizing <pre> tags, project tag substitution (i.e. <@HelpTitle/>}, <@BuildDate/>}, etc) , and inclusion of shared content items (i.e. <include item="footer" />. The default transformations contain examples of the last two.

There's currently one bug in the process that causes it to miss renaming the .topic files unless a site map file is used. The fix can be found at http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=13143. I'll issue a point release next week once the Sandcastle refresh is out.

Eric
Oct 8, 2007 at 5:12 AM
Edited May 15, 2008 at 11:15 AM
Hello Eric,
Thanks for the time, the support and the information.
I will take some time to work out some samples and see how this meets my needs,
and post any feedback.

I also have a newbie level for XSL, and have never done any original work in it.

Best regards,
Paul.