SHFB problems/questions

Topics: User Forum
Sep 21, 2007 at 11:08 AM
Edited Sep 21, 2007 at 1:23 PM
Hi,
let's get some questions about SHFB:

1. What does "Language" for help file option do?
    1. If set to other language (tested Spanish), chm loses the title from the window (not from pages, but window title)
  2. Is it possible to group nested namespaces?
    1. For example i have Framework and Framework.Input, and want Input to be displayed inside framework, at the same level than Framework types, or even better, having the types grouped.
Example:
. Namespace A
.... + - Namespace B (A.B)
.... .... + Class B1 on B (A.B.B1)
.... + - Namespace C (C.B)
.... .... + Class C1 on C (A.C.C1)
.... + Types
.... .... + Class A1 on A (A.A1)

Thanks
Sep 21, 2007 at 12:35 PM
1. Language is for internationalization support - so you can have multiple translations of the same content.
Sandcastle is still adding support for this - the next CTP should add the right window title.

2. Nested namespaces are available in other products like Innovasys DocumentX.
To get the same effect in Sandcastle you need to change the TOC generation - you can do this by having an XSL transform or a C# program modify the toc.xml after it is created by SHFB, but before the TOC.xml file is transformed into a HHC file.
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM
Edited Sep 21, 2007 at 3:32 PM
See the FAQ for information on the language support and CHM files as there are some known issues related to how the CHM viewer works with foreign languages. Language support was more extensive in prior versions of the help file builder as I supplied a merged translated version of the Sandcastle resource files supplied by other users. However, with the addition of another presentation style and a growing number of translations, it was getting too hard to coordinate it all so I stripped it out temporarily in the last release. The next release contains a scaled back implementation of the language feature. A translated version of only the resources used by the help file builder is supplied and it will pass all the necessary language IDs to the help projects but it will be up to the end users to do all of the presentation style translations and maintain them.

As mogens noted, you can modify the scripts to include an additional transformation or run another utility to alter the appearance of the TOC. This will be easier in the next release as I support plug-ins that can be used to extend or alter the build process without having to modify the help file builder templates. See my reply to him in his message http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=15449.

Eric
Sep 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

What about 1.1? Kinda bug? (if change language to Spanish, title won't show on window bar; will display "HTML Help" instead).
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM
It's a known issue with the viewer. See the FAQ entry "Why does my help file title not appear when I use a language selection other than English?". It's doubtful these issues will be fixed as I don't think there's any active development on the CHM stuff anymore.

Eric