Is it possible to create a CHM with out any class?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 12, 2007 at 3:19 AM
Hi,

In our project, we need to build several help files, including class library document for developer, and end user document for common user. In order to keep the look and feel the same, I want to use sandcastle to generate both these documents. I created a Dummy assembly which contains nothing since sandcastle HFB does't allow building with out any assembly, but there will be a empty "Namespace" node exist in the left pane. Is it possible to remove this node without de-compile and re-compile the CHM file?

Thanks,
Luther
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 3:02 PM
Not currently, but I'm starting to see this request more often. I'm working on a plug-in architecture for the help file builder. I can probably implement a plug-in that allows you to skip the steps associated with the namespace documentation thus creating a help file based on additional content alone.

Eric
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:46 PM

This would be excellent.
Mar 25, 2008 at 11:53 PM

lysunht wrote:
I created a Dummy assembly which contains nothing since sandcastle HFB does't allow building with out any assembly, but there will be a empty "Namespace" node exist in the left pane.

How did you even get that to work, Luther? I've just tried using a dummy assembly with no classes in it. I got this error message on trying to build the project in SHFB:

BUILD FAILED: No APIs found to document. Classes need to be declared public, you need to enable the DocumentPrivates/DocumentInternals property, or you need to include at least one assembly and at least one namespace to document.

Simon
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2008 at 2:04 AM
It may have worked at one time but I explicitly check for at least one API node now after the visibility properties have been applied. As I recall it used to get a lot farther into the build and would then fail or you would end up with an empty help file and it wasn't apparent that the cause was a lack of API data. As such, the upfront check and failure notice makes it obvious. If you really want to produce a help file without referencing any assemblies you can add the Additional Content Only plug-in. This will use just the additional content and skips all the steps related to producing the API content. Using the plug-in is also a good way of proofreading and checking the layout of the additional content even when you do have API topics as the build is much faster with the API stuff excluded.

Eric
Mar 26, 2008 at 8:45 PM
Thanks, Eric. That works well. It's going to be a very useful enhancement.

Simon