Team Build Error

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 29, 2007 at 9:19 PM
I realize I am missing something simple - but a few reads over the documentation and forums and I still don't have it. Everything builds great locally - but on the Team server I am getting the following:

Building D:\development\builds\%%Project%%\%%Build Type%%\Sources\Source\Code\Documentation\APIDocumentation.shfb

BUILD FAILED: Unable to find assembly: D:\development\builds\%%Project%%\%%Build Type%%\Sources\Source\Code\Data\bin\Release\%%Assembly%%.dll

This issue is obviously that the tool is looking for the binaries in the source tree -- rather than in D:\development\builds\%%Project%%\%%Build Type%%\Binaries\Mixed Platforms\Release. I have tried a few things to no avail. I assume I need to override the relative path base somehow - any help you can provide on this would be much appreciated.

Great tool BTW. Powerful and easy to use (and we have a license to Innovasys so I can compare capability).


Aug 30, 2007 at 2:10 AM
How are you specifying the paths to the assemblies in the project? In the messages, it doesn't appear to have resolved the environment variable references, assuming that's what they are (i.e. %%Project%%). It could be that it isn't finding them. I'm not aware of the double percent signs working for environment variable substitution but maybe they do, I've never tried it. Normally, you only specify one on either side. If they are command line options, you can try putting the options in a response file instead. You might check the assemblies in the project to make sure you've referenced the correct ones. It could be that the project really is using the ones from the given source tree location and you just need to point the project at a different location for the team server build. If a folder isn't specified or a relative path is used, all paths are assumed to be relative to the project file's folder. If you can't get one project to work for the local and the server build, you may need to create two projects, one for each environment.

Aug 30, 2007 at 3:34 AM
Thanks for the response. Sorry for the confusion -- the %%PROJECT%% and %%BUILD TYPE%% were just used instead of the real product names (I meant to mention that in my original post). In the project file they are using relative pathing pointing to the assemblies and dependencies. Your suggestion is a good one (two projects) - but it would be nice if there was just a nice command line switch that could be used to change the relative path root when the tool is run on the server.

In my case I will just use one project and just not build locally. It seems like this will solve my problem.