Another issue with MrefBuilder.exe

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:08 AM
Hi all

I seem to have another issue related to DXROOT / MrefBuilder.exe. After reading http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=13179 I replaced the DXROOT variable with the path to my sandcastle installation. In addition to that I manually did the same for all config files described in http://geekswithblogs.net/kobush/archive/2006/07/30/86656.aspx. So far, if I start the build from the command line it works, the same applies for the UI. BUT: If I create a scheduled task in windows that executes my script it does NOT work anymore. Can anyone confirm that behavior or does anyone even have a solution?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2007 at 4:11 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM
Do not change anything in the Sandcastle installation files. All you need to do is modify the MRefBuilder.config file to replace "DXROOT" with "{@SandcastlePath}". Do that literally. Use the replacement tag and not an actual path. At this point, your best bet would be to uninstall and reinstall both Sandcastle and the help file builder to make sure everthing is correct and then make the change to the help file builder config file.

The most likely cause of the other failure is that the DXROOT environment variable is a user environment variable rather than a system environment variable. You can either edit the environment variables to make it a system environment variable, edit the scheduled task to run as you, or just specify your path to Sandcastle in the project via the SandcastlePath property.

Eric
Aug 17, 2007 at 10:10 AM
Hmm, actually that's what I did first. Then I realized that it does not run when the script is scheduled. So I modified the the other config files. So far I think there seems to be something else that must be done in order to run the script via Windows scheduler.

Thanks for your answer and the effort you put into the Help File Builder, Eric!