Multi-class files: tag content not updated

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 1, 2007 at 9:04 PM
I have a VB.NET file that contains three classes. The rudimetary data, such as the method/function names, is included in the help file but none of the content of the <summary>, <remarks>, or other tags for any of the classes except the first one in the file. Do I have to restrict my code files to one class per file in order to get he Help file to be generated correctly? Also, I should mention that all of the classes aremarked with the <Serializable()> attribute.
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2007 at 9:44 PM
Do a full rebuild to ensure that the XML comments file is up to date. You might check the XML comments project option in case it was disabled inadvertently and you're only seeing an older copy from the last time it was actually built. You can also open the XML comments file to ensure that your comments are actually making it in there. The number of classes in a source file and the attributes that decorate them won't affect the XML comment output. Also, be sure that you are referencing the correct assembly and XML comments file that you build in the help file project (i.e. Debug or Release).

Eric
Aug 2, 2007 at 12:39 PM
I have done the following:
1. Deleted the project XML file from the Debug directory.
2. Deleted the log and chm files from the Help directory.
3. Performed a full rebuild.
4. Verified that the project XML file in the Debug directory contains the correct information.
5. In The Sandcastle project, I deleted and the added the project DLL and XML files from the Debug directory.
6. Built the help project.
7. Still do not have ANY of my tagged comments for all but the first of three classes in the file. No summary, no remarks, no param info; nothing.

EWoodruff wrote:
Do a full rebuild to ensure that the XML comments file is up to date. You might check the XML comments project option in case it was disabled inadvertently and you're only seeing an older copy from the last time it was actually built. You can also open the XML comments file to ensure that your comments are actually making it in there. The number of classes in a source file and the attributes that decorate them won't affect the XML comment output. Also, be sure that you are referencing the correct assembly and XML comments file that you build in the help file project (i.e. Debug or Release).

Eric

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:37 PM
I discovered that I was missing a <summary> tag on the second of the three classes in the file. This apparently short circuited the processing of the remainder of the file. No errors were generated.