Unresolved Assembly Reference

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 25, 2007 at 9:33 PM
I get the error
Unresolved assembly reference: XYZ.Reporting.DataSource (XYZ.Reporting.DataSource, Version=7.0.1065.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d516cb311cfb6e4f) required by XYZ.Replication.Hierarchy

Problem is I have a newer assembly than what it wants (XYZ.Reporting.DataSource Version=7.0.1066.0) how can I fix this error ( I cannot update the XYZ.Replication.Hierarchy assembly)
I have tried adding the assembly to the GAC and set the dependency and also I have done binding redirect in the machine.config file with the following xml

<assemblyIdentity name="XYZ.Reporting.DataSource" publicKeyToken="d516cb311cfb6e4f" culture="Neutral" />
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="7.0.1065.0" newVersion="7.0.1066.0"/>

But it is still looking for the old version, any thought on how to fix this?
Jul 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM
Add the assembly you want as an entry in the Dependencies project property.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:29 PM
I'm having this same problem with my assemblies it says it cannot resolve assembly references to my own assemblies, even when those assemblies are Dependencies in the project. Do I need to do anything else, besides add the assemblies as dependencies? Mines not complaining about a specific version, just says it can't resolve the assembly reference.
Aug 15, 2007 at 3:01 PM
As a test you can try copying all of the assemblies to the same folder and running MRefBuilder manually to see if it can find the dependencies. You can try it with and without the /dep switch to see if you can get it to find the dependencies. If not, this is something you'll have to report to Microsoft. If it works from the command line and you can send me a sample project that duplicates the problem, I'll see if it's something I can resolve in the help file builder.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:46 PM
Yeah this appears to be a problem with the MrefBuilder not making things in dependecncy assemblies linkable (ref="false"), is what it puts next to these members, which I'm assuming means don't make it a link. I'll post something on the MSDN documentation website.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:27 PM
I posted this in the MSDN forum too. The June CTP added a new <resolver> tag to the MRefBuilder.config file which might be affecting it. In the build that fails with the help file builder, go to the .\Working folder, edit the config file and remove the <resolver> tag. Run GenerateRefInfo.bat and see if it runs without the unresolved reference error. If it doesn't, try deleting the config file and running it again. Does that make a difference?

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:26 AM
Same problem here... I added the assembly references in the "Assemblies to document", and excluded documenting the namespaces in these assemblies. Works like a charm afterwards!
Dec 11, 2007 at 9:50 AM
Hi, unfortunately I think I did everything described on this page, but I get this error. Deleting the MRefBuilder.config does not make any difference. Excluding namespaces neither (but need them) and assemblies are referenced with path and everything in the Assemblies to document section.
Any recent solutions?
Thnak you very much.
Dec 11, 2007 at 10:05 PM
If you can send me an example project that duplicates the problem I can look into it. My e-mail address is in the About box and the footer of the pages in the help file.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:43 PM
I see that this thread hasn't had any activity for a few months and was wondering what the final solution was? I'm still having this same issue.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:30 AM
It is most likely unresolved though the resolution depends on the problem:

If it's that you open the Namespaces Summary dialog and get an exception due to a dependency not being found, it hasn't been fixed because nobody has sent me an example that fails so I can debug it further. I've you've got one, I'll take a look at it.

If the problem is as described in the first post (an assembly uses an older version but you've only got a newer one), it's an MRefBuilder issue and I can't fix that. MRefBuilder doesn't understand binding redirection at this time. There's an open work item in the Sandcastle CodePlex project for that (http://www.codeplex.com/Sandcastle/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=1014).

There's also another issue with it not finding dependent types referenced in attributes when the dependency assembly is in a sub-folder which also has an open work item (http://www.codeplex.com/Sandcastle/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=936).