Error: 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.VersionInfoComponent'

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:40 AM
Hi, I generated a XML document from a Javascript file using ScriptDoc.

Then I use Sandcastle Help File Builder version 1.5.0.1 to build me a help file using that XML file. This is the error I am getting now:

Error: BuildAssembler: An error occured while initializing the build component 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.VersionInfoComponent' in the component assembly 'C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\SandcastleBuilder.Components.dll'. The error message and stack trace follows: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SandcastleBuilder.Components.VersionInfoComponent..ctor(BuildAssembler assembler, XPathNavigator configuration)
Last step completed in 00:00:14.1086

Anyidea why?

Matt
Jul 13, 2007 at 9:03 AM
I got the same error today when I tried to build a help file without any assemblies.
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2007 at 3:04 PM
Edited Jul 13, 2007 at 3:05 PM
The help file builder and Sandcastle too aren't designed to produce documentation for something that has no assemblies or something that can produce a reflection information file. There has to be a reflection information file for it to process.

Regarding ScriptDoc, I wasn't aware of it until after the latest release of the help file builder so there's no guarantee that it will work with it yet. If anyone has a small test case they can send me, I'll check it out and add support for it.

Eric
Jul 13, 2007 at 9:56 PM
Hi Eric,

• In the help builder it has an option to select "Comments Only" = true. This allows me to run the build function without specifying the assembly. Therefore I thought it would work.

• When you run ScriptDoc against the JS files, it produces an ORG and XML files. You can grab their samples from their site http://www.codeplex.com/scriptdoc/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=5319

By the way your help file builder is a great tool! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Matt
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2007 at 10:57 PM
The CommentsOnly option is for including an XML comments file that contains the project and namespace summaries. Some people prefer adding those comments that way rather than storing them in the SHFB project.
Thanks for the reference to the ScriptDoc examples. I'll check them out.

Eric