sandcastle june ctp crashing on Vista x64.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 6, 2007 at 2:08 AM
Can anyone else confirm this?
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2007 at 2:29 AM
It could be a known issue unrelated to Vista. Can you post some details about the crash such as a stack dump, the part of the log containing the error(s), etc? Also, are you using the latest SHFB (1.5.0.1)?

Eric
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:05 AM
It might be an access issue. I opened up an elevated command prompt and did not get the crash. I'll keep watch. I do have one other question though (and yes I am using 1.5.0.1.

I'm documenting a class library but also including some additional html topics. First question is do you have any best practices to make html topics that have the same look and feel as that generated by sandcastle. Also, I want my TOC to have several nodes one of which is called Reference. inside the reference node will be the namespace documentation generated. I've tried setting RootNameSpaceContainer and checking (global) for namespace documentation. So far, nothing has worked. Ideas?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2007 at 3:04 PM
If you're using the VS2005 or HANA styles, there's currently a bug in the help file builder that prevents it from adding the root namespace container. See http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=11393 for the fix if you need it right away. You need to download the code, replace the file attached to the work item and rebuild.

Once the patch is applied, you can set RootNamespaceContainer to true and set RootNamespaceTitle to "References". You can leave the "(global)" namespace unchecked as it won't affect that and will exclude some normally unwanted stuff from the help file if present.

There currently isn't a way to generate additional content that looks like the help pages automatically. The easiest way is to create a template file that contains the basic HTML with the header and content DIV tags and use that to create each file as you go. You can examine one of the smaller generated help topics to figure out which CSS classes to use.

Eric
Jul 12, 2007 at 6:27 PM
Just as a followup, the problem with the crashing was general system instability. A new set of memory sticks took care of it.