Special characters in project summary

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 11, 2007 at 9:10 AM
I tried entering a project summary with an ampersand (&) in it. This lead to a parsing error when trying to build the project. I removed the ampersand and now everything works fine.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2007 at 7:57 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2007 at 7:58 PM
The project and namespace summaries are treated as HTML so that you can include formatting tags. As such, encode special characters such as &, <, and > (&amp;, &lt;, and &gt;).

Eric
Jun 12, 2007 at 1:12 PM
Ah, I should've given that a try! Thank you!
Oct 24, 2007 at 8:15 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2007 at 8:16 AM
It looks like the CopyrightText field doesn't allow HTML. Is there any chance of making this and other appropriate fields allow HTML? It might be worth looking through the list of fields to see which ones make sense with HTML. The HelpTitle field is another example candidate.
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2007 at 3:13 PM
The fields are HTML encoded as needed so you should be able to enter plain text and the necessary characters will be encoded appropriately. You can use escaped hex values such as \xA9 to represent such things as the copyright symbol. Supporting HTML in the help title isn't useful as its used in various places such as the help file's title where HTML isn't supported.

Eric
Oct 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM
Ah. Can you clarify what is and isn't allowed in the fields that allow HTML? I had tried the HTML escape for the copyright symbol (ampersand copy semicolon) - and that did not work.
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2007 at 3:08 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM
See the property descriptions in the help file. They indicate whether or not HTML is supported in the property value. Note that entities are a special case. The XML parser in .NET doesn't support anything but a few basic entites. For anything else, you need to encode the entity using its numeric form (i.e. &copy; needs to be &#169; instead).

Eric
Oct 25, 2007 at 8:42 PM
Thanks!

For those that are interested, here are detailed instructions on how to get this info: execute the Sandcastle GUI, select the Help / Help menu item to go to the GUI help file, and then from within the help, select "The GUI Project Manager" > "The Help File Category Properties". (Some of the info in the GUI help file also applies to the command line tool SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe.)