Error: BuildAssembler: An error occured while initializing the build component 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.VersionInfoComponent'

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 9, 2007 at 10:45 AM
I have created a new projects based on a VSTO projects in C#. Note that I have included only the XML documentation file and not the assembly.

This is the error:

Info: CopyFromIndexComponent: Instantiating component.
Info: ShowMissingComponent: Instantiating component.
Info: ShowMissingComponent:
Sandcastle Help File Builder Components, version 1.4.0.1
Show Missing Documentation Component. Copyright ¸ 2006-2007, Eric Woodruff, All Rights Reserved
http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB
Info: VersionInfoComponent: Instantiating component.
Info: VersionInfoComponent:
Sandcastle Help File Builder Components, version 1.4.0.1
Version Information Component. Copyright ¸ 2006-2007, Eric Woodruff, All Rights Reserved
http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB
Error: BuildAssembler: An error occured while initializing the build component 'SandcastleBuilder.Components.VersionInfoComponent' in the component assembly 'E:\Programmi\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\SandcastleBuilder.Components.dll'. The error message and stack trace follows: System.NullReferenceException: Riferimento a un oggetto non impostato su un'istanza di oggetto.
in SandcastleBuilder.Components.VersionInfoComponent..ctor(BuildAssembler assembler, XPathNavigator configuration)
Last step completed in 00:00:31.9227

BUILD FAILED: Unexpected error in last build step. See output above for details.

Thanks

ken
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2007 at 8:23 PM
The lack of an assembly is the problem. Sandcastle cannot produce help from the XML comments alone as it must match it up to a manifest generated from the reflection information obtained from examining the assembly.

Eric
Jun 11, 2007 at 10:19 AM
Thanks.

My problem is that the Project is a VSTO Project and If I include the assembly, SandcastleBuildHelper ask me all the Assemblies referenced by the main assembly. Ok I have tried to do this, but for an assembly there isn't a documentation and it put a "unknown.xml" and the build fail too.

EWoodruff wrote:
The lack of an assembly is the problem. Sandcastle cannot produce help from the XML comments alone as it must match it up to a manifest generated from the reflection information obtained from examining the assembly.

Eric

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2007 at 7:59 PM
Dependent assemblies should be added to the project's Dependencies property, not the assemblies to document list. Please read through the Getting Started and FAQ sections of the help file as it covers stuff like this.

Eric
Jun 12, 2007 at 9:35 AM
Sorry EWoodruff,

My Solution has only one project and I haven't "Dependecies" section. The assemblies that I have to add in your app are the Interoperation assembly of "Visual Studio Tools for Office" and are these:

Microsoft.Office.core
Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common
Microsoft.Office.Tools.Word
Microsoft.VisualStudio.Application.Runtime
VSTOStorageWrapper

My project references reference correctly these assemblies. In the SandCasteHelpBuilder I add my assembly and all the assemblies it needs (and without your app say me to add), but finally for these assembly:

VSTOStorageWrapper

It doesn't have any documentation file and your app adds as "VSTOStorageWrapper, unknown.xml"

And then I have this error:

>BUILD FAILED: Unable to find XML comments file: >E:\Lavoro\Lavoro\TestoAFronte\SENATAF\Software\Lavorazione\SenaTAF\doc\Unknown.xml

I hope my question is more clear now.

Thanks

Roberto

EWoodruff wrote:
Dependent assemblies should be added to the project's Dependencies property, not the assemblies to document list. Please read through the Getting Started and FAQ sections of the help file as it covers stuff like this.

Eric

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2007 at 4:13 PM
There is a Dependencies property in the help file builder project. Add the dependent assemblies to it NOT the list of assemblies to document.

Eric
Jun 12, 2007 at 5:45 PM
OOOpss.....sorry I didn't understand that dependecies was of your app. Ok I think now the problem is only Microsoft

"
Copyright ¸ Microsoft 2006
Info: Loaded 1 assemblies for reflection and 3 dependency assemblies.
Error: Unresolved assembly reference: VSTOStorageWrapper.Interop (VSTOStorageWrapper.Interop, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a) required by Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common
Last step completed in 00:00:10.0628
"

I have added the assembly but there is the error too. Ok I say you this for your cultur on VSTO project and SandCastle.

Thanks and sorry for my misunderstanding

Ken

EWoodruff wrote:
There is a Dependencies property in the help file builder project. Add the dependent assemblies to it NOT the list of assemblies to document.

Eric

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:51 PM
Ok, I have resolved. I needs only to add the VSTOStorageWrapper.Interop from the GAC.

I have understand many things on VSTO and assemblies now :-)

thanks for your patience

kenshiro2000 wrote:
OOOpss.....sorry I didn't understand that dependecies was of your app. Ok I think now the problem is only Microsoft

"
Copyright ¸ Microsoft 2006
Info: Loaded 1 assemblies for reflection and 3 dependency assemblies.
Error: Unresolved assembly reference: VSTOStorageWrapper.Interop (VSTOStorageWrapper.Interop, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a) required by Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common
Last step completed in 00:00:10.0628
"

I have added the assembly but there is the error too. Ok I say you this for your cultur on VSTO project and SandCastle.

Thanks and sorry for my misunderstanding

Ken

EWoodruff wrote:

Eric