Help, Cannot build document

Topics: Developer Forum
May 30, 2007 at 4:35 PM
Hi all,
I just downloaded SandCastle today (version 1.4.0.1), and installed without any previous version. I added some assembly and XML document (I am quite famaliar with NDoc), when I tried to build, I got following error message in output box:

Sandcastle Help File Builder GUI, version 1.4.0.1
Creating output and working folders...
Clearing working folder...
Finding tools...
Found Sandcastle in 'C:\Program Files\Visual Studio 2005 SDK\2007.02\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\Sandcastle\'
Last step completed in 00:00:00.0000

BUILD FAILED: Your version of Sandcastle is out of date. Please download the latest version.

Any idea, what shall I do?
May 30, 2007 at 5:09 PM
OK, I did a search, and found the solution was to download March CTP.

After I installed March CTP, I could not find any Program/Program Group in Start menu, nor I could find any EXE file from c:\Program Files\SandCastle folder which look like a GUI program.

How do I start?
Coordinator
May 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM
It's all command line driven. The help file builder provides the GUI and builds the help file using the Sandcastle tools. See the Getting Started and FAQ in the help file for information on using the help file builder.

Eric
Jun 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM
I have the same problem. I downloaded Sandcastle for the first time today AND I downloaded SHFB for the first time today. I built a documentation project earlier today without any problems. I have now made some comment changes to the assembly and - wham - all of a sudden it says "Your version of Sandcastle is out of date".

Any suggestions?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2007 at 9:03 PM
Check the DXROOT environment variable to ensure that it is pointing at the correct version of Sandcastle. If you have the VS 2005 SDK installed, it contains an outdated version of Sandcastle and that can cause the problem. If the problem persists, set the SandcastlePath project property so that it points at the Sandcastle installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\).

Eric
Jun 12, 2007 at 2:16 PM
The DXROOT environment variable was correctly set. However, after having installed Visual Studio SDK 4.0 I had to set the SandcastlePath property to the Sandcastle installation folder. Now everything is working fine!